The Poetry Analysis Essay: Suggestions and Common Errors
1. Review “Major Stages in Thinking and Writing About Literature” beginning on page 19 in the text as well as the elements of poetry in “Part III, Reading and Writing About Poetry.” Note, with my exceptions, “Writing a Research Essay on Poetry,” page 1222.
2. Length: Three to five pages. This is the suggested amount of development, not the number of pages to be filled.
3. Choices: You must write about the work of a poet who is listed on the course schedule, but you should not analyze a poem that we have already analyzed in class or one that we may at some point analyze in class.
Hint: papers by students who have spent little time researching the work of the writer they’ve selected are apparent to good readers within the first paragraph most of the time. Ethos begins low, and the grade on the paper will be below average. If you choose the most conveniently accessed poem, you’re only making your life more difficult.
4. The analysis is not a paraphrase or summary of the poem’s argument, circumstance or plot. Summaries neither lend insight nor illuminate possible inferences, two purposes of analysis. For example, to say, “Bart Edelman’s poem ‘Chemistry Experiment’ is about a chemistry experiment that goes wrong for some college students. He talks about the smoke, describing it as a ‘black rope of smoke.’” Such regurgitation does not serve the reader.
This is not to say that you cannot paraphrase the poem to call the reader to the moments or ideas you wish to analyze. This is only to say that a paper which only paraphrases or summarizes is not fulfilling the assignment or the purpose of the assignment, to train you to think critically about the text and learn to articulate clearly your critical thoughts.
5. Analysis is not a reader reaction. Reader reactions are just that: a reader’s emotional, casually considered reaction to a work. Such reactions range from, “This poem was weird,” or, “This poet’s an idiot. He makes no sense,” to, “Edelman writes a wonderful poem about some college students who almost blow themselves up in chemistry class. The line, ‘With the hazardous waste crew,’ shows how serious the accident was.”
None of the previous comments lend the reader a compelling interpretation of the poem. Relevant interpretations, which when supported with evidence are analysis, offer insight into how the poem is working, why it is significant beyond what we see on the surface, or reveal the instructional value of the poem, the wisdom we might take from it.
A good draft of an analysis of this poem might begin, “Bart Edelman’s poem ‘Chemistry Experiment’ illustrates just that, a chemistry experiment in a college classroom, to symbolize the seeming trauma of becoming an adult, especially in matters of romance.”
6. The poem you are analyzing will not organize your paper for you. Very often, novice writers will commit what we will refer to in this class as the Quote and Comment method, which is when the writer quotes or paraphrases a line from the poem being “analyzed,” comments on it, then quotes the next line and comments on it, and so on. It’s nearly impossible to organize a paper into useful paragraphs using this method, and most writers who do employ it don’t even bother to organize. The method is easy on the writer and hard on the reader. Other than someone who’s being paid to grade the paper, few readers would endure more than the two paragraphs of this sort of essay.
7. A draft of a clear, focused, organized analysis is significantly more difficult to write when you have not already brainstormed general ideas and, afterward, drafted a rough outline of the ideas that might work. The more time you spend refining your outline, the more manageable your paper will be during the drafting process. You want to have a sense of how your paper should be organized and what your supporting details will be before you begin writing. Otherwise, you will find yourself frustrated and lost in your own paper.
8. Research is not required for this first paper, but it is encouraged and it will be rewarded. Any consulted sources used in the paper must be cited in MLA format. See the text and Diana Hacker’s website for MLA citations in The Bedford Guide on line.
9. Just as poetry creates poets and novels breed novelists, the best way to develop an understanding of a good analysis is to spend time reading good models. Included here are the authors whose works are the subject of good poetry analyses written by students and the first pages on which they appear in our text: Edwin Arlington Robinson, 703; Robert Browning, 746; John Masefield, 782; Sharon Olds, 866; George Herbert, 964; Mary Oliver, 1006.
Are you busy and do not have time to handle your assignment? Are you scared that your paper will not make the grade? Do you have responsibilities that may hinder you from turning in your assignment on time? Are you tired and can barely handle your assignment? Are your grades inconsistent?
Whichever your reason is, it is valid! You can get professional academic help from our service at affordable rates. We have a team of professional academic writers who can handle all your assignments.
- Plagiarism free papers
- Timely delivery
- Any deadline
- Skilled, Experienced Native English Writers
- Subject-relevant academic writer
- Adherence to paper instructions
- Ability to tackle bulk assignments
- Reasonable prices
- 24/7 Customer Support
- Get superb grades consistently
Online Academic Help With Different Subjects
Students barely have time to read. We got you! Have your literature essay or book review written without having the hassle of reading the book. You can get your literature paper custom-written for you by our literature specialists.
Do you struggle with finance? No need to torture yourself if finance is not your cup of tea. You can order your finance paper from our academic writing service and get 100% original work from competent finance experts.
While psychology may be an interesting subject, you may lack sufficient time to handle your assignments. Don’t despair; by using our academic writing service, you can be assured of perfect grades. Moreover, your grades will be consistent.
Engineering is quite a demanding subject. Students face a lot of pressure and barely have enough time to do what they love to do. Our academic writing service got you covered! Our engineering specialists follow the paper instructions and ensure timely delivery of the paper.
In the nursing course, you may have difficulties with literature reviews, annotated bibliographies, critical essays, and other assignments. Our nursing assignment writers will offer you professional nursing paper help at low prices.
Truth be told, sociology papers can be quite exhausting. Our academic writing service relieves you of fatigue, pressure, and stress. You can relax and have peace of mind as our academic writers handle your sociology assignment.
We take pride in having some of the best business writers in the industry. Our business writers have a lot of experience in the field. They are reliable, and you can be assured of a high-grade paper. They are able to handle business papers of any subject, length, deadline, and difficulty!
We boast of having some of the most experienced statistics experts in the industry. Our statistics experts have diverse skills, expertise, and knowledge to handle any kind of assignment. They have access to all kinds of software to get your assignment done.
Writing a law essay may prove to be an insurmountable obstacle, especially when you need to know the peculiarities of the legislative framework. Take advantage of our top-notch law specialists and get superb grades and 100% satisfaction.
What discipline/subjects do you deal in?
We have highlighted some of the most popular subjects we handle above. Those are just a tip of the iceberg. We deal in all academic disciplines since our writers are as diverse. They have been drawn from across all disciplines, and orders are assigned to those writers believed to be the best in the field. In a nutshell, there is no task we cannot handle; all you need to do is place your order with us. As long as your instructions are clear, just trust we shall deliver irrespective of the discipline.
Are your writers competent enough to handle my paper?
Our essay writers are graduates with bachelor's, masters, Ph.D., and doctorate degrees in various subjects. The minimum requirement to be an essay writer with our essay writing service is to have a college degree. All our academic writers have a minimum of two years of academic writing. We have a stringent recruitment process to ensure that we get only the most competent essay writers in the industry. We also ensure that the writers are handsomely compensated for their value. The majority of our writers are native English speakers. As such, the fluency of language and grammar is impeccable.
What if I don’t like the paper?
There is a very low likelihood that you won’t like the paper.
- When assigning your order, we match the paper’s discipline with the writer’s field/specialization. Since all our writers are graduates, we match the paper’s subject with the field the writer studied. For instance, if it’s a nursing paper, only a nursing graduate and writer will handle it. Furthermore, all our writers have academic writing experience and top-notch research skills.
- We have a quality assurance that reviews the paper before it gets to you. As such, we ensure that you get a paper that meets the required standard and will most definitely make the grade.
In the event that you don’t like your paper:
- The writer will revise the paper up to your pleasing. You have unlimited revisions. You simply need to highlight what specifically you don’t like about the paper, and the writer will make the amendments. The paper will be revised until you are satisfied. Revisions are free of charge
- We will have a different writer write the paper from scratch.
- Last resort, if the above does not work, we will refund your money.
Will the professor find out I didn’t write the paper myself?
Not at all. All papers are written from scratch. There is no way your tutor or instructor will realize that you did not write the paper yourself. In fact, we recommend using our assignment help services for consistent results.
What if the paper is plagiarized?
We check all papers for plagiarism before we submit them. We use powerful plagiarism checking software such as SafeAssign, LopesWrite, and Turnitin. We also upload the plagiarism report so that you can review it. We understand that plagiarism is academic suicide. We would not take the risk of submitting plagiarized work and jeopardize your academic journey. Furthermore, we do not sell or use prewritten papers, and each paper is written from scratch.
When will I get my paper?
You determine when you get the paper by setting the deadline when placing the order. All papers are delivered within the deadline. We are well aware that we operate in a time-sensitive industry. As such, we have laid out strategies to ensure that the client receives the paper on time and they never miss the deadline. We understand that papers that are submitted late have some points deducted. We do not want you to miss any points due to late submission. We work on beating deadlines by huge margins in order to ensure that you have ample time to review the paper before you submit it.
Will anyone find out that I used your services?
We have a privacy and confidentiality policy that guides our work. We NEVER share any customer information with third parties. Noone will ever know that you used our assignment help services. It’s only between you and us. We are bound by our policies to protect the customer’s identity and information. All your information, such as your names, phone number, email, order information, and so on, are protected. We have robust security systems that ensure that your data is protected. Hacking our systems is close to impossible, and it has never happened.
How our Assignment Help Service Works
You fill all the paper instructions in the order form. Make sure you include all the helpful materials so that our academic writers can deliver the perfect paper. It will also help to eliminate unnecessary revisions.
2. Pay for the order
Proceed to pay for the paper so that it can be assigned to one of our expert academic writers. The paper subject is matched with the writer’s area of specialization.
3. Track the progress
You communicate with the writer and know about the progress of the paper. The client can ask the writer for drafts of the paper. The client can upload extra material and include additional instructions from the lecturer. Receive a paper.
4. Download the paper
The paper is sent to your email and uploaded to your personal account. You also get a plagiarism report attached to your paper.
PLACE THIS ORDER OR A SIMILAR ORDER WITH US TODAY AND GET A PERFECT SCORE!!!